Discussion:

Our hearts are with the victims, their families, and the community of Orlando All Our Tragic Loss Our hearts are with the victims, their families, and the community of Orlando


Yesterday when I woke up I saw that Orlando was trending and I hoped beyond hope that it would be something good but I was tragically mistaken. Reading the headlines of the worst mass shooting in U.S. history struck me. I had planned to post an art project today that I've been working on but it doesn't seem right to. My regular posting will resume Wednesday but for now, I just want to discuss these tragic few days. 


Friday I had some family issues and I was having a really tough day and then I saw this: #PrayforChristina. I was very confused so I looked it up and was utterly shocked to see that Christina Grimmie (YouTuber and Voice contestant) was shot while signing autographs for fans. My heart hurt and I hoped and prayed for her to be okay. Then sadly the next day it was released publicly that she had passed away. I couldn't believe it. One, she was only 22 years old. She was only two years older than me. Two was that I've been a fan of hers for a very long time. I distinctly remember watching all her covers and especially one song in particular (Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri). It actually inspired me to sing a cover myself in front of my family (but with the full non-instrumental version because I can't sing. I still know every word to that song and every time I hear that song I think about that memory. It's so sad to think about how she won't be able to share any more memories with the world but I know she will be remembered and my thoughts go out to her friends and family. 




Then yesterday when I went on Twitter to see that Orlando was trending. I thought that maybe it was because of Christina but another act of senseless voice had occurred, 50 people died and 53 were injured. They were all trying to enjoy a night out at a famous gay Florida nightclub. And I mention this because the media seems to all just want to focus on ISIS and the fact that it was a terrorist act but this was a hate crime and I think that's important to note. I believe that covering up or not acknowledging that this was a hate crime is so wrong. They just seem to want to focus on the shooter which that's something I don't agree with. I don't think focusing on the who done it will help anyone, especially not the families. That is why I'm not naming the people who have caused all these unprovoked senseless acts of violence. This needs to be a time where we ban together to mourn the losses and try to find a solution to this issue. My heart goes out to all the people who are affected, not only friends and family but the whole LGBT community. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog