Storytime:

MY BOOK BEGINNINGS 



I've mentioned before that I wasn't really a reader growing up and while that's true it doesn't mean that I didn't have books in my life. Actually quite the opposite. I would read a little bit but mostly I remember being read books. One particular memory sticks out in my mind. My best friend and I laying next to each other on the bed and her reading Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince out loud. I remember us always doing something like that.


The reason I wasn't a big reader growing up was because I wasn't the best reader. In school, we would constantly take tests on how well we comprehended the material and also we did this test where we had to read an excerpt from a story out loud to our teacher (in private). Our teacher would time us and see how far we got. They would mark us off for mispronounced words. With my anxiety and me not being the best reader made me really despise reading in school. Then in 6th grade, I was told that I had to take a reading class to help with my reading comprehension and that's where my love for reading was revived. The two teachers that taught the group of kids in that class really made things fun. I even started to look forward to it.


Then after that year, I started to really get into reading more. I found more series and books that I was really excited for (City of Bones, Twilight). Now I can't imagine going back to before that class. I absolutely LOVE reading and I really am appreciative of being required to take that class. I wouldn't change a thing. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog