Review:

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness, Siobhan Dowd (Conception), Jim Kay (Illustrator)


Format (That I Read It):

Book

Challenge Completed:

An award-winning book

Summary:

At seven minutes past midnight, thirteen-year-old Conor wakes to find a monster outside his bedroom window. But it isn't the monster Conor's been expecting-- he's been expecting the one from his nightmare, the nightmare he's had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments. The monster in his backyard is different. It's ancient. And wild. And it wants something from Conor. Something terrible and dangerous. It wants the truth. From the final idea of award-winning author Siobhan Dowd-- whose premature death from cancer prevented her from writing it herself-- Patrick Ness has spun a haunting and darkly funny novel of mischief, loss, and monsters both real and imagined.

Initial Thoughts:

I briefly heard about this novel before. I knew it was becoming a movie later this year and my challenge from my TBR jar was to read a book to movie adaptation. The thing was I hadn't actually decided if A Monster Calls was going to be the book I read. Then I went to the bookstore to buy a new release when I saw it on the shelf and picked it up. It was calling out to me.


Review:

★★★★★
I actually didn't know this book was about a boy who's mother is going through treatments. I thought this book was about a much younger boy dealing with the loss of family member but I was wrong, pleasantly wrong.A Monster Calls was beyond beautiful. I don't have the proper words to describe it. The book deals with grief/loss. One word that comes to mind having finished it is haunting. This book is one of those books that you know will be with you forever. It became an instant classic. I can see myself reading this to my future children years down the road. Then if the story isn't beautiful enough there are illustrations. They are so stunning. I want them tattooed on my body they are that spectacular.


 Patrick Ness' writing evokes so many emotions. He makes you feel all the emotions that the main character Conner feels, all his anger, grief, frustration, and pain. He allows the reader to fully immerse themselves in his life and his situation with his entire family. I can't believe it's taken me this long to read a Patrick Ness novel. I fell in love with his writing style and I will definitely be picking up more (let's be honest all) of his novels in the future. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog