#Rainbowthon 2.0

February 7th- February 14th

This challenge is just like it seems. There were two options; you can read six books (one for each color of the rainbow), or you can read all books of the same colors. 

Minor Spoilers


Red:

Red Rising by Pierce Brown

When I first read this book it was hard to get through. All the world building was a lot to take in but it was a very good book. The next time around it got leagues better. I knew all the details and backstory. I can totally see how people compare it to The Hunger Games and  Game of Thrones. It has the best qualities of those books. It has political intrigue while also being a kickass dystopian/Sci-Fi novel. To be honest, I am sort of over and tired of dystopias. Many of them are the same and I got really tired of it but let me tell you, Red Rising is NOT one of them. It is so action packed! All the characters are complex and you never know what is going to happen. I love all the characters like Darrow, Sevro, Pax, and Mustang. I can't praise this book enough! It's seriously so fantastic!

Orange:

Sons of Anarchy Volume 1 by Christopher Golden, Damian Couceiro (Illustrator)
Sons of Anarchy is one of my favorite TV Shows of all time. Since it ended last year it has left a giant hole in my heart. There isn't a show like it on TV now so when I heard that there was a comic series I knew I was going to end up reading it. This series is like the show but with a newly added storyline. I didn't realize how much I absolutely missed all the guys until I started reading. It was nice to have the same familiar feel of the show. This volume we got more of Tig and Kozik's friendship. It also added more story to Clay. The comics start in Season 5 of the show which at first I didn't think I would enjoy but it was good to have all the intense action right away. I am going to binge read as many as I can this month. 

Yellow:

Golden Son by Pierce Brown


If Red Rising was fantastic then Golden Son is out of this world. The novel starts off with a big time jump. Darrow is now twenty years old and it's been two years since the end of Red Rising. The scope of the whole world is so big that there wasn't a way to go about it without a ship. The political issues from the first book were multiplied ten-fold. It was a lot of back and forth of who's on whose side. It was also filled with so many jaw-dropping moments. Then just when I thought it couldn't get any crazier the ending happened. It blew my mind. I was so upset after I read it. I couldn't form words for what I felt. I knew as soon as I closed the book that this was one of my favorite trilogies of all time. Obviously, I had to get Morning Star.  

Green:

The Moving Finger by Agatha Christie

★★★
I didn't realize that this book was part of a series. I got this book on a trip a while ago. I know that Agatha Christie is famous for her novel for And Then There Were None which I haven't read but I gave this book a shot. It was a good story. It was a classic murder mystery that Christie is known for. It was strange that this was the fourth book in the Miss Marple series but she didn't show up in the story until towards the end of the novel. I liked that the story was about a brother and sister moving to a small town but there was also a bit of romance thrown in with Jerry and another character. Overall I didn't really feel like it was the most fantastic thing I've read but it was interesting enough. 

Blue:

The Walking Dead Volume 6: This Sorrowful Life  by Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard and Cliff Rathburn (Illustrators)
The comics continue to be crazy and intense. Michonne was even more of a badass. With everything, that happened with the Governor did to her in the last volume I was waiting for the moment she got her revenge. That happened in these comics. She completely got him. Her torture scene with him was very intense. It was terrible to watch even though he is a terrible person. I found it interesting that Michonne was the one that took his eye out. In the show when we meet the Governor he already has lost his eye. With all the intensity it was nice to have a really happy moment at the end. Glen finds a ring and with Hershel's permission proposes to Maggie.

Purple:

Sons of Anarchy Volume 2 by Ed Brisson, Jesus Hervas (Illustrators)

I didn't like this Volume as much as the first one. Issue # 7 was all about Toric's backstory. I really didn't enjoy. The art style was different too which was a bit strange but it didn't seem to add anything because Toric wasn't in the rest of the volume. The rest of the issues took place between seasons three and four. It explained what happened between Sons and the Russians while they were serving their eighteen-month sentence.  I've always wanted to know what happened because in the show it wasn't really discussed. So there were some of the same storylines. Still I really enjoyed this fill in. I loved seeing Gemma being very protective over Tara while the Sons were gone. I hope the comics continue to fill in the gaps of the show.  

Other:

I started two other books but didn't finish them.

The Last Apprentice: Night of the Soul Stealer by Joseph Delaney

Morning Star by Pierce Brown

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spooky Challenge Wrap-Up