#BookBuddyathon Wrap Up

May 6th 12:00 am - May 12th 11:59 pm

So....I'm so absolutely terrible. I was gonna wait until Monday (May 15) because of Mother's day and my birthday took up the weekend but then I completely spaced it and now it's the weekend away. Well here is my wrap up.

My book buddy was @terrigriffiths_ and she was fantastic to talk to during the week. It was great getting to know her. We talked about books and life. It was really nice. I hope we can do it again sometime. Maybe next time it will go a bit better with the Buddy Read.....


Challenges:

Buddy read a book

Read a book that's your buddy's favorite color

  • Grey

Read a book that's title starts with your book buddy's name

  • Terri (T)

Choose three books and have your book buddy pick one

  • A List of Cages by Robin Roe
  • Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
  • If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo

Read a book you want to read


Buddy read a book:

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

Terri and I decided to read this book together because it was one we both had it on both our TBR shelves. Ironically both of us started this book but just ended up not feeling it. It was dragging on a bit and had a lot of description and random tangents it went on. The both of us didn't want to get into a reading slump by pushing ourselves to read it so we put it aside. 

Read a book that's your buddy's favorite color

Read a book that's title starts with your book buddy's name:

This Is Our Story by Ashley Elston
When I went to the bookstore to get my book for the Buddy Read. My eyes were scanning the shelves and my eyes caught the cover of this book. I picked it up. The first words I saw were "Five boys went hunting. Four came back." I had to get it. Also, I fit it in as a challenge. Read a book that's title starts with your book buddy's name. Also, Read a book that's your buddy's fav. colour. This book had me guessing up until the final pages. I even had a little notebook filled with notes/clues. I had a clear suspect in mind.... or so I thought. Ashley Elston did a fantastic job of adding enough evidence that if could have been any of the boys. I felt I was right there along with Kate trying to gather all evidence to present my case. I thought I had my guy but then the big reveal happened and....I was wrong. It actually caught me off guard. The whole book kept me on the edge of my seat and kept my fingers turning the pages. I'm glad I decided to pick up this book on the fly.

Choose three books and have your book buddy pick one:

A List of Cages by Robin Roe

Even though this one was chosen for me to read I didn't actually read it.....

Read a book you want to read:

If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo
I started this book a while ago and I don't remember what happened but I ended up putting it down. It was the last day of #Buddyathon and I still had one more book to read but I wasn't wanting to start another book that I wouldn't be able to finish so I decided on a whim to finish If I Was Your Girl. And let me tell you it was fantastic! I quite enjoyed it. I've never read a novel with a trans main character...or a novel with a trans character in general. At least not one I can think of. I think it's VERY important to have that sort of diversity in books. I think it would help not only the people going through the situation but for the people around them to help them understand a bit more. 

I really liked going through the journey with Amanda. Seeing her struggle but ending up strengthening herself and the relationships around was great. Now personally I can't relate to Amanda's exact situation but I think everyone can relate to seeking acceptance from family and friends. I gave this book four stars. I'm interested to read more books by Meredith Russo. I really enjoyed her writing style. 

Bonus:

A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas

I only got about fourteen pages into this one.....


Ravage Me by Ryan Michele
DNF (Did Not Finish)
Now I'm going to go off on a bit of a rant so if you would not like to listen just skip this one. 

This book pissed me off SO much. I randomly couldn't sleep one night at the start of the readathon and I was really in the mood to read about some trashy motorcycle club book because that is definitely my guilty pleasure. I had this book on my phone for the longest time. I got it for free like, a year ago I believe but anyways I thought you know what I'm gonna read it, It will be quick and it will help me sleep. The first bit of the novel had a lot of promise. I knew going into it that there was gonna be some parts of the novel I wasn't going to like because of it being about a motorcycle club. Most of the time the woman has to stay out of the club business and the mindset there probably was gonna annoy me but I wasn't expecting the horrendous mess that this book was. The main characters (I had to look these names up because I forgot them) Harlow and Cruz belong to the Ravage MC. Obviously, Harlow isn't a member of the club but she is family to the club. Anyways at the beginning of the novel, Harlow is getting out of prison and when she goes back to the clubhouse she meets Cruz and is attracted to him and vice versa. The problem is that she doesn't sleep with members. It's her rule. Of course, this rule gets broken like immediately. Okay well I can deal with that whatever, right? Well, almost instantly Cruz gets overly possessive and thinks that Harlow is his and wants her to be a mother to his son. I just couldn't take it. The things he would say just made me want to reach into the novel and choke some sense into him. I'm gonna stop ranting now and just leave some quotes here to some it up. This is the last line I read before giving up:
Cruz to Harlow after they sleep together...
"I guaran-fucking-tee this will happen again. I'll let you leave for now, but this shit is far from over."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spooky Challenge Wrap-Up